1. Remove the center core from the cabbage and discard outer leaves.
2. Boil cabbage and take leaves apart as the cabbage softens. (If difficult cut out more of the core for easier separation).
5. Prepare Filling. Mix in a bowl the cooked rice, raw onions, raw ground beef, salt & pepper (Optional: you may sauté the onions and beef together or leave them both raw, however, sautéing the beef can make it meat slightly dry).
Filling: Cooked Rice, Onion, Ground Beef
6. Lay out small leaves along bottom of baking dish. (this will prevent the rolls from sticking to the bottom of the baking dish).
How to start forming the cabbage roll
7. Form rolls by placing the filling on the vein side of the leaf. Bring in sides as you roll the leaf. Lay leaves tightly side by side in baking dish.
Keep sides folded inwards when rolling
1. Sauté 1 diced onion in oil
2. Add slices of mushrooms (about 10 mushrooms)
3. Add a 1 to 2 cans of diced tomatoes (or homemade sauce or fresh diced tomatoes)
4. Season with salt and pepper
5. Add 1 tsp of sugar if bitter
- Cabbage rolls can be frozen after baking and cooled
- Rather than boiling the cabbage in order to take apart the leaves, freeze as a whole and then defrost. (Leaves will easily come apart). Not recommended if freezing cabbage rolls after baking.