Thursday, March 1, 2012

Mashed Potatoes


Mashed Potatoes

Growing up, mashed potatoes were a staple on our dinner table every Sunday.  Mom always made a roast, mashed potatoes, corn and vegetables such as broccoli or cauliflower.  This was a meal we never got sick of eating.  More than anything else, we looked forward to Mom's mashed potatoes.  My brother and sister loved them topped with gravy, but not me.  I loved them just as they were.  I couldn't wait for her to pull out the electric mixer so I could lick the blades clean once she was done with them.

This version of mashed potatoes is my Mom's creation.  She always said the secret to this recipe is in the garlic powder.  There's a lot of different garlic powders sold at our local grocery stores, so be sure not to get the one containing garlic bits.  The one Mom used is so powdery that it looks like flour.

As I'm remembering these Sunday meals, I'm getting a little chuckle remembering my Dad, who hated mashed potatoes.  Mom used to have to set a boiled potato off to the side for him and he enjoyed it plain.  How could my father not love mashed potatoes?


Ingredients:
10 potatoes
pinch of salt 
1 tbsp garlic powder (careful that it isn't garlic salt)
1/4 to 1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup milk  (slowly add more for desired consistency)

1.  Peel and boil potatoes.  Once fork can pierce through them, they are fully boiled.


2.  Drain potatoes and prepare your seasonings.


3.  Season potatoes with salt and garlic powder and add butter.  Gradually pour milk while mixing to ensure you don't make them too liquid.  Start with 1/2 cup of milk and add more if necessary, for desired consistency.


4.  Blend with an electrical mixer until there are no more potato clumps.


5.  Mashed potatoes are ready when the potatoes are smooth.


No comments:

Post a Comment