Aunt Toula was invited to afternoon tea. Usually, each lady brings along a plate of homemade goodies for sharing. Even though it was late in the evening when she got the surprise invitation, she was in no panic. She went to her freezer and defrosted some store boughten Athens Fillo Dough. We were in Florida, so this defrosted in no time!
The next thing I knew, she was grinding up walnuts and melting butter. The rest speaks for itself. Just take a look at what she whipped up that evening.
Frozen Fillo Dough
2 Tbsp Cinnamon
2 to 3 Tbsp Sugar
2 sticks of melted butter
2 cups Sugar
2 cups Water
1 envelope Vanilla Sugar
1. Defrost frozen filo.
3. Transfer to a bowl and add sugar.
4. Add cinnamon and mix. The amount you add is to your own personal preference.
7. Baste with butter and layer with another sheet, baste, layer, baste. (4 sheets)
9. Roll.10. Cut roll into 4 or 5 pieces.
11. Repeat steps 6 to 10 until the baking pan is full and there's no more sheets of filo left.
12. Bake at 350F until golden brown and allow to cool completely before adding syrup.
1. In a saucepan add 2 cups of sugar to 2 cups of water and an envelope of vanilla sugar.
3. Simmer and allow to clerify.
4. Pour syrup over the baklava rolls.
5. Be sure to soak well and turn over to ensure both sides absorb the syrup.