Monday, April 9, 2012

Jam Filled Croissant Cookies (Voula S)

Jam Filled Croissant Cookies
According to my husband, these are the best cookies ever!  My sister is the one that introduced him to these sinfully good treats.

Whenever we'd go over to visit, she'd have some ready to serve with coffee.  My husband would pretty much polish off the entire plate himself.  Eventually my sister started serving other deserts, insisting that she was all out and needed to make another batch of these croissant cookies one day soon.

My husband wasn't quite buying this story and knew where my sister kept her stash.  One day, while in her basement, he opened up her freezer and lo and behold, there was a container full of his favourite cookies.

It was from that day forward that she gave me the recipe and insisted that I take care of my husband's big appetite for these jam filled croissants.

These cookies are very easy and quick to make and yield a hefty batch.  Perfect for someone with a husband with a sweet tooth like mine!


Riser:
Heat the following and set aside to rise: 
1 cup milk
2 tsp. sugar
1 cube yeast
½ tsp. flour

Flour Mixture:
In a large container, mix the following:
5 ½ cups All Purpose Flour
3 eggs
1 pack Tenderflake or golden Crisco shortening (room temperature)

METHOD:
1.   Add riser to the flour mixture and knead the dough.
2. Divide dough into 7 to 9 pcs and roll into balls.
3.   Flour work area.
4.   Take each ball and roll out into the largest spread possible while forming a circle.
5.   Cut circle into 12 pcs to 14 pcs.
6.   Add jam at the wide end of each triangle and roll from wide to narrow end.  (like a croissant).

7.   Grease pan and lay out cookies (or use parchment paper).
8.   Once all cookies are formed, allow to sit and rise further.
9.   Bake tray of 1st formed cookies first for 20 minutes at 350°F. 
10. Roll cookies in and equal mixture of regular sugar and sifted icing sugar.


2 comments:

  1. I could not believe these are cookies! They look like real croissants to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delish! So glad to have found you through the Recipe Swap. Followed you!

    ReplyDelete