Sunday, June 3, 2012

Barbecued Potatoes

Barbecued Potatoes
I can't believe I'm sitting here writing a post about last weekend's barbecue party.  It was so unbearably hot outdoors that we ended up working our way back into our air conditioned home to avoid the extreme heat.  

Once again this year, our weather has taken an extreme change in temperature.  We went from high 30s to low teens.  In fact, I think it's 11 celsius right now.  The AC is turned off and the gas fireplace is turned on.  Brrr...

Back to the BBQ...
I love being able to prepare as much as I can in advance so that I can sit down with my guests while entertaining them.  (There's nothing more unpleasant than an absent hostess)!  

My grilled potato recipe is one of those that can be prepared well in advance and left to the side wrapped in foil until one is ready to turn on the grill.  It's also one of those recipes that's very quick to prepare as in such times when a BBQ gets sprung onto you at the last minute by your daughter's Spartan boyfriend.  

He said he was taking over, but  I had recently returned home from Loblaws where I had just purchased a bunch of fresh organic vegetables and a warm baguette.  In fact, I had just finished making a bruschetta (recipe to follow soon) when the doorbell rang.  

It's not easy for anyone to convince me to sit back and allow others to take over in MY kitchen, so the only way I'd agree for the boyfriend to move into my territory was if I was able to have 5 minutes before moving out of the way to prepare this potato recipe of mine.  Obviously, I won and the recipe is below.

It was so nice that we were able to sip on Crantinis and eat freshly made bruschetta outdoors while the boyfriend started up the grill. 



INGREDIENTS:
4 Large Golden Potatoes (peeled and cut into wedges)
1 Large Onion (Cut in half and then into slices)
Sliced Peppers (Red, Yellow, Orange, or just the colour you prefer)
2 Garlic Cloves (cut into small pieces)
Salt & Pepper
Greek Oregano
Garlic Powder
Olive Oil
Pieces of Butter (optional -- can be placed within prior to wrapping in foil)


4 comments:

  1. Have never tried barbecued potatoes before but they must be delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're very tasty and it's all about a good quality olive oil and the herbs and spices which I'm sure you have readily available living in Greece. (I also have very good olive oil from Greece that my daughter's boyfriend's parents share with us from their property in Sparta).

      Delete
  2. I love the foil packs in the grill! Great idea! We don't have a grill but, I bet these could be done in the oven too. They sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! These can be baked in the oven. If you're not able to get the heavy duty oven bags, just use foil and be sure to use lots. Wrap well. The juices will spill out otherwise. I wrap twice both ways to ensure no spillage.

      Delete