Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Tomato & Basil Open Faced Sandwich with Vegenaise

Tomato & Basil Open Faced Sandwich with Vegenaise

For anyone out there with an egg allergy or a total dislike of eggs, here is a wonderful alternative to mayonnaise for you.  It's egg free and gluten free and wow does it ever taste good, says my one daughter who has an obsession with mayonnaise.

I cannot recall a time when my older daughter was ever able to eat mayonnaise due to her egg allergy.  Tonight, I made this open faced sandwich for her and even though she was apprehensive about eating something that tastes and looks like mayonnaise, she gave it a thumbs up.  Eureka!  SHE LIKED IT! 
  
Thank-you Earth Island for making this lovely spread!  


8 comments:

  1. :) I am an anti-mayo kind of chick, but veganaise is actually quite tasty. It's not as egg-y as mayo is. You have reminded me that I need to buy some... thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Personally, I like making my own mayonnaise! I'm curious, however, why are you anti-mayo? Is it because of the raw eggs? I've been starting to question this myself and really am a fan of this Vegenaise.

      Delete
    2. I mostly don't like the taste. I don't mind the raw-egg, I just find it off putting for some reason. As long as a dish doesn't have an obvious mayo taste, I'll eat it. But like in potato salad or sandwiches, where you can tell - I will usually pass. Maybe it's a quirk... lol

      Delete
  2. Hi ellen,
    Great that your daughters' liked it. In India we have egg-less mayo, by Dr.Oetkar, and many people who dont eat eggs (not for health or allergy issues but mostly for religious reasons) use it. I guess it must be ok :D.
    Have a great day!
    Anuja

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I am not against mayo, I avoid it due to cholesterol. This sounds like a great substitute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not a mayo fan either. This looks really refreshing and tasty! Would make a perfect lunch for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Posts like this are really helpful, Ellen. Nice to know your daughter liked the product. Isn't Whole Foods a wonderful store?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Ellen... check out my latest post :)
    about the blogger award

    ReplyDelete